The City of Fort Lauderdale made the announcement Sunday afternoon that it will be expanding the list of businesses allowed to reopen Monday to now include commercial gyms.
On Friday, Broward County Mayor Dale Holness said the order form the Governor was clear and that gyms would not be reopening in phase one.
But Mayor of Ft Lauderdale Dean Trantalis said he has a different interpretation of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ plan for reopening the state after listening to the Governors latest news conference on Sunday.
Trantalis stressed that gym owners must follow safety and social distancing guidelines.
- Gyms cannot exceed 50% of their capacity.
- Employees to wear face masks and have health checks before they start work each day.
- Patrons are required to have their temperature checked upon entry and denied access if they have a fever.
- Machines and equipment stations must be spaced six feet apart and sanitized after each use.
- Fitness classes must maintain the six-foot distancing requirement between participants.
- Showers must be closed.
- Hand sanitizer must be provided at all entrances, and all patrons and employees must sanitize upon entrance.